Reports to: Head of Direct Delivery [Debt Free London]
Direct reports: Debt Advisor, Trainee Advisor and Advice Assistant
Salary: £38,000 per annum
Working hours: 35 hours per week
Location: Multiple sites across London – maybe required to work from different offices each day
Toynbee Hall is a charity where people come for excellent local services and where they can share ideas and experience, gather information and knowledge that we use together to take action to change lives and eradicate poverty. Our programmes include free advice services, financial inclusion services, wellbeing services, including work with older people and community learning services supporting young people and new migrants.
Debt Free London is a unique partnership of charities led by Toynbee Hall and funded by the Money and Pensions Service, that provides free, expert advice to Londoners with problem debt.
Our trained and accredited advisors support Londoners with all types of money worries - from rent and council tax arrears, to credit card and catalogue debt. We work with clients to prioritise their bills & debts, helping them to write letters and advocating on their behalf.
The most common types of debt we help with remain council tax bills, rent arrears, and credit or store card loans. Both council tax and rent arrears are ‘priority debts’ which can have serious consequences for the individual – including the threat of bailiffs, homelessness or even imprisonment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Management of local sites to ensure all services are available
- Ensuring the local provisions and services are available daily by managing sickness, absences and emergencies.
- Working closely with other departments and external contractors to ensure the local sites are kept to the highest health and safety standards.
- Proactively identify resource shortages and work with the team to ensure this does not impact the level of service provided.
- Share good practice with fellow Advice Managers to ensure all local sites continuously offer a high standard of service.
- Line management of a team to ensure objectives are set and met
- Lead the team to meet objectives (service, quality, safety, cost) in line with requirements.
- Lead the effort to identify opportunities for improvement within the team and the plan.
- To advise, steer and support the team to ensure team members’ work are compliant and a high quality service is delivered.
- Provides encouragement to team members, including communicating team goals and identifying areas for individual development.
- Conducts 1:1 and team meetings to update members on best practices and continuing expectations.
- Ensure compliance and the quality of advice required are achieved
- Ensuring the team are delivering a consistently high quality debt advice service.
- Ensuring case files meets all auditing and quality standards and the requirements of the funder.
- Work collaboratively to ensure all projects and advice are FCA compliant.
- Ensure a minimum of 40% TrustPilot reviews with 95% at either 4 or 5 stars rating.
- Contribute to team
- Be an active member of the team, identifying opportunities for your own development.
- Advise wider team on research and analysis undertaken and of recent developments in field of work.
- Work in collaboration with our funder, and with colleagues from across their other funded organisations, contributing to key projects and meetings.
- Compliance with Toynbee Hall policies and procedures, including health and safety.
- Demonstrate financial efficiency and value for money throughout work.
- Travel across London as required, and occasionally the UK.
- Commitment to working flexibly across all Toynbee Hall’s services, including evenings and weekends.
- Undertake additional tasks as directed by the Director of Debt Free London that the Senior Management Team.
- Significant line management experience.
- Ability to work on own initiative or as part of a team.
- Influencing and negotiating ability.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to build relationships with staff at all levels.
- Ability to give constructive feedback in a positive and coaching style.
- Expert knowledge of, and proven ability to manage local sites including the diagnosis of relevant issues and remedies.
- Proven ability to monitor and evaluate performance through case checking and supervision, and to support improvement.
- Up to date knowledge of the key issues of debt advice arising from legislation, regulation, policy, practice and services.
- Proven ability to identify learning and development needs and contribute to the development of appropriate learning activities for groups.
- Proven ability to identify service delivery issues affecting quality and work on own, or with others, to find appropriate and effective solutions.
- Ability to plan effectively and realistically, managing own workload in a busy environment and working accurately to agreed deadlines.
- Ability to collate information and write concise reports, including analysing information, identifying issues/risks and making recommendations for corrective action.
- Ability to make decisions, work under pressure on a number of competing tasks and meet deadlines.
- A proven commitment to continuing professional development.
- High standard of numeracy and computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, MS Project) with an ability to understand and analyse complex financial and other numerical information
- Understanding of and commitment to Toynbee Hall’s values and equal opportunities policies.