We're creating a team of Advice Assistants to support our Debt Advisors in carrying out the delivery of high-quality debt advice by carrying out non-specialist tasks related to providing the service.
Job Title: Advice Assistant
Reports To: Technical Supervisor [Debt]
Direct Line Reports: None
Salary Grade: £22,000 per annum
Location: Across various sites in London
Working schedule: Must be available to work 7 days a week, 35 hours a week.
Please note we will only be accepting applications submitted in the DFL application template.
Debt Free London is London’s free face-to-face debt advice service helping over 24,000 Londoners with their debt and money problems each year. Our trained and accredited advisors are based across 21 partner charities and can help with all types of money worries from rent and council tax arrears to credit card and catalogue debt. We can work with clients to prioritise their bills & debts, helping them to write letters and advocating on their behalf.
The Debt Free London partnership is led by Toynbee Hall, the employer for this role, a charity where people come for excellent local services and where they can share ideas and experience, gather information and knowledge that we use together to take action to change lives and eradicate poverty. Our programmes include free advice services, financial inclusion services, wellbeing services, including work with older people and community learning services supporting young people and new migrants.
- Support Debt Advisors in carrying out the delivery of high-quality debt advice by carrying out non-specialist tasks related to providing the service.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Support Debt Advisors in carrying out the delivery of high-quality debt advice by carrying out non-specialist tasks related to providing the service
- Completing initial client assessments by; interviewing clients, identifying emergency situations and ensuring clients can access the appropriate support to resolve their problem
- Contacting third parties such as Jobcentre Plus or HM Revenue and Customs, to update them on the client’s situation or obtain information
- Completing straightforward forms, either paper or online versions to support the client in claiming charitable help or accessing additional support from key service providers such as utility companies
- Supporting and encourage clients to access digital information relevant to their case including support with using online template letters, budgets and benefit calculators
- Collect information from creditors and utility companies to support the work of Debt Advisors
- Drawing up a personal budget of the client’s income and expenditure including by helping the client to access relevant information such as income and benefit details
- Helping clients switch their utility provider
- Entering information into the Debt Free London case management system
- Where appropriate, following up with clients to ensure they provide key information in a timely manner
- Key admin tasks including follow up work with clients and closing of cases when appropriate
- Supporting Debt Advisors with the preparation of standard letters and administering the case system
- Passing on client messages and be the first port of call for clients returning to the service
Contribute to team
Work to an agreed work-plan, meeting targets and milestones
Prioritise and manage your own workload
Be an active member of the team, identifying opportunities for your own development
Compliance with Toynbee Hall policies and procedures, including health and safety
Demonstrate financial efficiency and value for money throughout work
Ensure that all services comply with equal opportunities and other relevant policies and
quality standards and good practice
Travel across London as required, and occasionally the UK
Undertake additional tasks as defined by Head of Debt Free London
Essential attributes and behaviours:
- Awareness of, and ability to, understand and empathise with clients from a diverse range of backgrounds and disadvantaged groups living in the community
- Ability to remaining non-judgmental
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service
- Ability to use sensitive listening and questioning skills to get to the root of the issues and empower clients, whilst maintaining structure and control of meetings
- Ability to work as part of a team and be open to receiving feedback and learning from others
- Ability to give and receive feedback objectively and sensitively
- Understanding of the debt advice model with proven casework skills and experience of dealing with complex and challenging cases
- Ability to manage own time and meet deadlines
- A commitment to continuous professional development, including a willingness to develop knowledge and skills in advice topics
Desirable knowledge and experience:
- Previous experience of supporting an advice service
Important dates and how to apply
There are multiple vacancies for this position and so no specific closing date, we will review applications as they are submitted and reserve the right to close this advert once all vacancies have been filled.
To apply, please download and complete the Debt Free London Application Form, which also contains a Declaration of Criminal Convictions and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form, and email your completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org . We will also accept posted applications to; HR Department, Debt Free London, 28 Commercial Street, London E1 6LS.
Debt Free London embraces equality, diversity and inclusion. We are committed to the ongoing development of an organisation that values and represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills and welcome applications that reflect this.